Clinical/Translational Research Coordinator II - Neuropsychology & Patient Cognitive Rehabilitation
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Academic / Research
Internal Number: R-8101
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center: Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery, and patient care, VUMC is a community of diverse individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded, and your abilities challenged. Vanderbilt Health recognizes that diversity is essential for excellence and innovation. We are committed to an inclusive environment where everyone has the chance to thrive and where your diversity of culture, thinking, learning, and leading is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Allergy, Pulmonary and Critica
JOB SUMMARY The Critical Illness, Brain Dysfunction, and Survivorship (CIBS) Center is an interprofessional research team dedicated to improving the lives of patients and survivors of critical illness and injury, including COVID, delirium, dementia, cancer, PTSD, and depression. The CIBS Center seeks an individual to fill a full-time Clinical Translational Research Coordinator (CTRC) II position. This position is unique as it involves the administration of neuropsychological tests to patients and their families. There are additional opportunities to engage in patient cognitive rehabilitation. Candidates should have a familiarity with psychological concepts, a willingness to learn how to administer and score evaluations and can work well with critically ill or cognitively impaired individuals while also maintaining testing protocol. Reliable transportation to travel for home visits is also required. The ideal candidate has a master's degree or previous experience.
* Accurately and compliantly performs the procedures required of each study protocol, working collaboratively with study participants, other staff and departments, in safely and accurately performing study procedures such as assessing participant eligibility and recruitment, arranging necessary schedules and procedures, administering neuropsychological assessments, conducting interviews regarding mental health and quality of life, tracking medication usage, etc.
* Understands the implementation, coordination, management and reporting of clinical/translational research operations.
* Ability to identify and troubleshoot problems.
* Records data from participant interaction onto case report forms (either paper or electronic) with awareness and attention to the requirements for accuracy, completeness and timeliness. Attends to query resolution in a timely manner.
* Assures research information is collected and stored in a manner that is compliant with regulations/policies and good clinical practice.
* Participates in the ongoing informed consent process, ensuring that human subjects, their families, and other health care providers clearly understand what is expected of and from them in the course of participating in a clinical/translational trial.
* Engages in open communication with participants by providing them with contact information and being available to answer, address or refer their calls.
* Understands policies, procedures, and regulations governing human subject's research and incorporates them in the conduct of research.
* Has the knowledge and understanding of the Federal regulations and guidelines governing the protection of human subjects, e.g., FDA, OHRP, GCP/ICH , and HIPAA regulations.
* Proficiently prepares and processes new IRB research proposals, amendments, continuing review applications and adverse event reports according to institutional and departmental policies and procedures and federal regulations.
* Accurately and compliantly prepares and maintains documents required to be maintained internally and available for regulatory authorities and/or the sponsor prior to, during and after the conduct of a clinical/translational trial. Participates in periodic site visits from sponsor, regulatory authorities and others to review research, source documentation, and research procedures.
* Participates in the determination of eligible candidates for study participation, assuring participants fulfill eligibility requirements. Strives to ensure studies are completed in a timely manner through implementing effective screening and recruitment strategies and completing required documentation.
* Is knowledgeable of the safety reporting requirements of the study protocol, IRB, FDA and other regulatory bodies. In a timely fashion, monitors, detects and reports adverse events meeting requirements of regulatory bodies. Coordinates activities and gathers information from a variety of sources to achieve stated outcomes.
* Serves as an advocate for human subjects by establishing and maintaining communication with Investigators, research staff, Sponsors, participants and representatives of professional organizations, participant advocates, and the public responsible for, or concerned about, protections for human participants of research and through ongoing monitoring of trial processes and participants.
* Performs or instructs others in performing procedures for research as they are described in the protocol, deviating from the protocol only when a subject's safety is at risk and reporting as required by policy, regulations or protocol, to the sponsor and regulatory agencies.
* Actively identifies and participates in training, education, and development activities to improve own knowledge and performance to sustain and enhance professional development. Pursues avenues to ensure awareness of the latest information available to coordinators conducting clinical/translational research (i.e., literature searchers, research seminars, in-services, etc.).
* Demonstrates initiative for continuous learning, both self-directed and as evidenced by attendance of educational and professional development opportunities. Actively seeks new learning opportunities, seeing learning as part of work.
* Participates in research related programs, such as the Clinical/translational Research Staff Council and its activities by submitting issues or suggesting solutions, and reviewing Council information, by attending meetings open to research staff and by sharing information with other research personnel.
* Actively seeks new learning opportunities, seeing learning as a part of work. Develops and achieves personal and professional goals.
TECHNICAL CAPABILITIES * Clinical Research (Novice): Can research problems that span several areas of the department. Develops and writes basic trial protocols. Knows what information is available in the company. Designs data collection forms. Has developed networking skills which assist in researching issues. * Study Design & Conduct (Novice): Applies qualitative and quantitative research methods to perform preparatory, regulatory, and analytic tasking within the life cycle of a study. * Project Coordination (Novice): Reviews specific project related documents for completeness and accuracy and ensures project status reports are received, when due, from project managers for all approved projects. Provides administrative and logistics support for various project meetings, training, workshops and facilitated sessions. Coordinates and tracks all work requests to ensure on time project delivery. Keeps project plans updated and ensures key milestones and dependencies are understood. Responsible for record keeping for project meetings such as issues logs, gap analysis sheets, meeting minutes, making copies, team event planning and execution, team travel, on-boarding activities for contractors or consultants, set up and maintenance of project repositories. * Communication (Novice): Clearly, effectively and respectfully communicates to employees or customers.
Our Academic Enterprise is one of the nation's longest serving and most prestigious academic medical centers. Through its historic bond with Vanderbilt University and integral role in the School of Medicine, Vanderbilt Health cultivates distinguished research and educational programs to advance a clinical enterprise that provides compassionate and personalized care and support for millions of patients and family members each year.
World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.
Aligning with Vanderbilt Health's Strategic Directions, the Office of Research provides shared research resources, administrative expertise and professional guidance to enable the trans-disciplinary environment and highly collaborative culture that advances discovery and training for all the research faculty, trainees, students and staff.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance. Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment. Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area. Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
Core Capabilities :
Supporting Colleagues:- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy, and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance e and gain knowledge in new areas.- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences. Delivering Excellent Services:- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness. Ensuring High Quality: - Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them. - Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring. Managing Resources Effectively: - Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities. Fostering Innovation:- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Work Experience :
Relevant Work Experience
Experience Level :
Less than 1 year
Vanderbilt Health recognizes that diversity is essential for excellence and innovation. We are committed to an inclusive environment where everyone has the chance to thrive and to the principles of equal opportunity and affirmative action. EOE/AA/Women/Minority/Vets/Disabled
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.